In modern life today, gout (Goute) is a very common disease. The disease causes inflammation of the small small joints, most commonly the left toe joint, if not monitored and treated in time, the disease causes many dangerous complications. What is the cause of gout? Why do men often get gout than women? What to eat and what should be good for gout? This is essential information to help prevent this disease!
Overview of gout
Gout (gout) is an inflammatory arthritis caused by a disorder of the metabolism of purines that causes excess uric acid in the blood. This amount of uric acid when reaching too high concentrations will accumulate in the joints, causing inflammation and pain.
Signs and symptoms of gout:
– Severe joint pain: Usually, gout causes soreness in large joints on the big toe, feet, ankles, pillows, hands, wrists, … Patients will feel severe pain. bounce, sudden, like a needle in the joints, more painful at night.
– The pain recurs in waves: Each pain wave usually lasts from 5-10 days and then stops, then recurs if not treated completely.
– Swollen and red joints: At gout sites, joints will be inflamed, red, hot, and stiff.
– Other symptoms: High fever, chills, chills, …
What should gout eat?
“The diet of gout patients has a very important meaning, can lower blood uric acid by limiting the introduction of purine into the body” – Extracted in “The best doctor is yourself – About gout – Book 6 ”(Young Publishing House).
Specifically, the patient should eat:
● Cherries: Helps reduce the amount of uric acid in the blood, while anti-oxidant, anti-inflammatory, and minimizes pain caused by gout.
● Cucumber: Promote uric acid secretion through the urinary tract, support gout treatment.
● Whole grains: Oats, brown rice, barley, millet, black sesame, … reduce cholesterol and uric acid in the blood, and increase the body’s resistance.
● Foods with low purines:
Cauliflower: Heat, cool.
Pumpkin: Warm, sweet, prevents complications from hypertension, dyslipidemia, …
Zucchini: Water supply, heat treatment, diuretic, gout pain relief.
Broccoli: alkaline, laxative.
Eggplant: Reducing cholesterol in the blood, lowering blood sugar, reducing uric acid accumulation.
Grapes: Many vitamins, more water, tonic, strengthening tendons.
● Foods rich in vitamin C: Pomegranate, oranges, grapefruit, … Research shows that providing the body with more than 500mg of vitamin C per day will reduce the risk of gout by 15%.
● Foods low in uric acid: Cereals, nuts, butter, eggs, cheese, …
● Add more alkaline water: Vegetable water, mineral water, …
What should gout eat?
The main cause of gout is due to disorders of the nuclear metabolism and excess uric acid. Therefore, if you do not want the disease to progress more and more, you need to stay away from foods containing high purines and increase uric acid in the blood. Specifically:
● Meat: Chicken, veal, venison, … The meat contains many purines will make gout pain last longer and worse.
● Animal organs: Liver, kidney, heart, brain, pig’s heart, blood pudding, … This is the group of foods containing the highest purine core (over 150mg). They can even cause severe pain to the chest with severe pain in the gout after eating.
● Fish: Herring, salmon, mackerel, tuna, sardines, anchovies, cod, … In these types of fish contain about 50-150 purine individuals, so patients need to pay special attention.
● High-fat foods: Fried foods, oily foods, … They will increase blood fat, and decrease uric acid excretion capacity.
● Beer, alcohol: Alcohol will increase the concentration of uric acid in the blood, making gout sufferers feel more painful and uncomfortable. Research has shown, uric acid concentration in people who regularly drink beer is the largest, followed by strong drinkers.
Some notes about nutrition
For people with gout, the daily diet should follow the following rules:
● To balance nutrients for the body, gout patients should provide energy-generating ingredients in each meal with the ratio: Protein <10%; beneficial fats 15-20%; Starch 70%.
● Vegetables and fruits (except those on a diet list) can be eaten comfortably.
● You can consume the amount of sugar, flour in the diet (rice, flour, sugar, candy, …) at a slightly higher rate than the average person.
At the same time, in addition to balanced diet, to effectively treat gout, it is necessary to coordinate the use of drugs according to the instructions of the doctor.